For vegan just don’t use any of the dairy and substitute another liquid & oil.
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a medium size baking dish.
Thoroughly mix the following in a bowl:
- 100g masa harina, or cornmeal as finely
ground as possible
- 125g oat flour, or use raw oats and make them into a flour using a spice grinder or food processor
- 125g sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
In a separate measuring cup mix the following:
- 240ml liquid of choice, water, milk, soy milk, almond milk, coconut water, tea
- 75ml oil/fat of choice, avocado oil, ghee, butter, coconut oil, or whatever oil is on hand, melt if necessary
- 4 tsp vinegar, something light like rice wine, or apple cider, but any acid will do
- 2 tsp vanilla
Mix all ingredients thoroughly together, pour it in the baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.
You can eat it while it’s hot, but it will be a little crumbly. When it cools, it will have a perfect, moist texture.